Up till this day, we have been checking the forecast on the Aurora's activity and our tour was booked on Xmas eve because that day was supposed to have the highest activity. Thus, it was with much sadness when we saw that the forecast had decreased the level for the day... Spirits were a little down but we were praying for a miracle...
Joined the tour group with 12 other people and all hoping to catch the Northern lights. We realised that almost half of the tour were Singaporeans. How interesting. The tour guide was rather hopeful and that was a great start. She drove us north of Tromso and at the first rest stop, we saw a sky of stars. Still hoping for the Aurora, we left the place after half an hour.
Throughout the ride, I looked out the windows and hoped to catch the dancing lights but none came. Suddenly, a voice from the back of the bus pointed out the white cloud-like features as the Aurora. Initially, I was sceptical. Can't blame me since I always thought they were supposed to be green. Even when the tour guide announced it, I remained in doubt. However, the rest of the passengers took out their dslr and mobilised their kits.
It was only when we took photos of the sky did we realise that they were really the Northern lights. Well, it's true that those cloud-like thing had some greenish glint to them. However, I would really have passed them off as clouds... Anyway, we spent a few hours capturing the light. Remaining still for 15s proved to be a challenge particularly in an area of strong cold wind. It's also that time when I wished I had a dslr but our photos were good enough.
The cold was much bearable with the guide's much appreciated drinks and snacks. After getting our photos worth, we retreated into the warmer bus while the enthusiastic continued their 'filming'.
Looking back, we were really lucky that the lights played out all night for us. This was really the highlight of the whole trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment